Reepham town in Norfolk, England, UK

Reepham town in Norfolk, England, UK.

reephamThe Reepham town sign shows a charming group of three of everything - churches, villagers, farm labourers, sheep, lambs, and "sisters".

The design is the work of the local High School. All elements are based upon the myth that three sisters were responsible for building a church each! But, in fact, the churches (all in the same churchyard) were built over a span of several generations. Only two remain, St Marys and St Michaels.

reepham churchSt Marys is now the single parish church; St Michaels, although still a consecrated building, is mainly used for meetings and similar community purposes.

St Marys contains an important and beautiful monument of Sir Roger de Kerdiston, 1337, recumbent on a bed of large pebbles. The meaning of this is not certain; it may be self-mortification or may be allegory.

reepham gardensReepham Market was founded in 1277 when Sir John de Vaux, whose lordship of Hackford extended into the parish of Reepham, obtained a charter from King Edward I for a weekly market. Reepham remains proud of the fact that it is a Market Town, notwithstanding that it nowadays equates in size to a rural village (around 1200 households). Present day Reepham Market Place is mostly 18th century.

reepham dial houseThis listed Georgian building was built in 1729 & originally named the "Dial House" because of a large sun dial over the front door - a white square in the photograph opposite.

In 1972 the house was converted to a commercial hotel & renamed The Old Brewery House Hotel to recognise its previous rôle as residence of the family that, for generations, had run a brewery in Reepham, and because one of the hotels principal rooms used to be the brewery.

For more information about Reepham visit www.reepham.org.uk

Information Wanted

If you have any information to add or a web site to link to please email us the details and we will update this page. Thank you.